Dr. S.R. Narahari, MD, DVD (Modern dermatology) Chairman & Director
Dermatologist Dr. S R Narahari is an ‘intense clinician and patient-oriented researcher’ practicing at Kasaragod, Kerala since 1990. He is the pro-bono director of a not for profit integrative medicine organization, The Institute of Applied Dermatology (IAD) (www.iad.org.in) that he founded in 1999 along with nine other inter-disciplinary senior medical professionals. IAD conducts research on integrative medicine in clinical dermatology. In 2010, a WHO publication discussing integrative medicine named IAD as a lead lymphology clinic in the world. In 2014, Government of Kerala established its ‘Centre for Integrated Medicine and Public Health’ in IAD under public private partnership for furthering activities of R&D and activities related to community dermatology.
You tube videos:
About Dr Narahari: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBaoi3cwXiE
About his work: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8MgUmakfxU
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: Dr Narahari studied in Manipal University; MBBS (1987); DVD (1989) & completed MD in 1990. He leads the multi-system doctors’ team at IAD. He has 37 international & 26 Indian scientific publications, six chapters in books and several national and international conference presentations/participations. His original works are: 1) a new integrative treatment protocol for Lymphatic Filariasis (2004) developed with the research grant from Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environment (KSCSTE), 2) standardized image acquisition techniques for Vitiligo (grant by KSCSTE) , 3) a protocol for systematic review of ayurveda publications (grant by the department of science and technology -DST), 4) original publications on adverse effect of griseofulvin 5) identified a new clinical sign in pure neuritic leprosy 6) developed searching methods for scattered ayurvedic literature in 2010 (grant by DST) and updated it in 2015, 7) structured clinical methods for ayurvedic dermatology in 2008 (grant by DST) and updated it using SPIRIT guidelines (2016). He is the member of international Cochrane skin group for evidence-based dermatology, Nottingham, UK. Three editorials have been written on IAD’s integrated treatment in international journals (Lymphology -official journal of International Society of Lymphology, Journal of lymphoedema, UK and Indian dermatology online journal a publication of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venerologists and Leprologists). He also received international excellence awards instituted by lead professional bodies. They include President’s award of International Society of Lymphology, USA(2005); Lymphoedema excellence award of International lymphoedema framework, London (2009); Neutrogena oration award of Indian Association of Dermatologists, venereologists and Leprologists (2011). He was nominated for BMJ India award, 2014 under the category ‘Primary Health Care under challenging circumstances’. He is currently the member of expert group on morbidity management and disability prevention of Lymphatic Filariasis constituted by Indian Council for Medical Research, New Delhi.
Areas of interest: His area of interest is integrative medicine in clinical dermatology to combine therapeutics of different Indian systems of medicines with biomedicine (known as allopathy in India). Focus of his studies is Lymphatic Filariasis, a neglected disease of Indian poor. ‘Whole drug development’, ‘enhancing clinical potential of ayurvedic drugs’, ‘yoga to halt atopic march’, ‘big data analytics for integrated medicine’ and ‘clinical analysis underlying integrated medicine for vitiligo and hyperpigmentation’ are his current research studies.
Collaborations: At the moment IAD is collaborates with seven institutions and universities to enhance the evidence, application and impact of integrated medicine in dermatology.
List of publications:
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Thernoe L, Bose KS, Ryan TJ. Yoga protocol for treatment of breast cancer-related lymphedema. Int J Yoga 2016;9:145-55.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Thernoe L, Bose KS, Ryan TJ. Response to comment on the article, “Yoga protocol for treatment of breast cancer-related lymphedema”. Int J Yoga 2017;10:52-4.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Thernoe L, Bose KS, Ryan TJ. Response to comment on the article, “Yoga protocol for treatment of breast cancer-related lymphedema”. Int J Yoga 2017; 10:52-4.
- Narahari SR. Skin Care for All: a low cost self care public health program as post-2015 community dermatology development agenda. Community Dermatology Journal 2015; 12: 20-22
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Swamy GK, Ryan TJ. Scarification: A commentary from the Institute of Applied Dermatology, Kerala, India, Community Dermatology Journal 2015; 11: 1-12
- Aggithaya MG, Narahari SR, Ryan TJ. Yoga for correction of lymphedema’s impairment of gait as an adjunct to lymphatic drainage: A pilot observational study. Int J Yoga 2015;8:54-61.
- Aggithaya M G, Narahari SR., Vijaya S, Sushma K V, Anil Kumar N P, Prajeesh P. Navarakizhi and Pinda Sweda as Muscle-Nourishing Ayurveda Procedures in Hemiplegia: Double-Blind Randomized Comparative Pilot Clinical Trial. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2014, 20: 57-64. doi:10.1089/acm.2012.0919.
- Thomas C, Narahari SR, Bose KS, Vivekananda K, Nwe S, West DP, Kwasny M, Kundu RV. Comparison of Three Quality of Life Instruments in Lymphatic Filariasis: DLQI, WHODAS 2.0, and LFSQQ PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2014; 8: e2716. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0002716
- Narahari SR, Ryan TJ, Aggithaya MG, Bose KS, Swamy GK. Community dermatology in practice: Control of morbidity in lymphatic filariasis patients in Indian villages. CME (Africa) 2013
- Narahari SR, Ryan TJ, Aggithaya MG. How Does Yoga Work in Lymphedema? J Yoga Phys Ther 2013; 3:135. doi: 10.4172/2157-7595.1000135
- Narahari SR; Bose KS; Aggithaya MG; Swamy GK; Ryan TJ; Unnikrishnan B; Washington RG; Rao BPS; Rajagopala S; Manjula K; Vandana U; Sreemol TA; Rojith M; Salimani SY; Shefuvan M. Community level morbidity control of lymphoedema using self care and integrative treatment in two Lymphatic Filariasis endemic districts of South India – A non randomized interventional study. Transactions of Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2013; doi: 10.1093/trstmh/trt054.
- Aggithaya MG, Narahari SR, Sudha V, Shefuvan M, Neethu KJ, Sushma KV. Self care integrative treatment demonstrated in rural community setting improves health related quality of life of lymphatic filariasis patients in endemic villages. Acta Tropica 2013; 126: 198-204
- Narahari SR, Vivekananda K Ryan TJ and Bruntus P. Compression therapy in Indian villages. Compression Therapy: A position document on compression bandaging. Consensus on best practice for the management of lymphoedema – 2nd edition. International lymphoedema framework; 2012; 62-74
- Ryan TJ and Narahari SR. Reporting an Alliance Using an Integrative Approach to the Management of Lymphedema in India. Int J lower extremity wounds 2012; 11: 5-9
- Narahari, S. R., Ryan, T. J., Bose, K. S., Prasanna, K. S. and Aggithaya, G. M., Integrating modern dermatology and Ayurveda in the treatment of vitiligo and lymphedema in India. International Journal of Dermatology, 2011;50: 310–334
- Narahari S. Treating lymphodema patients in Indian villages. J Lymphodema, 2011;6:87-90
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Suraj KR. Conducting Literature Searches on Ayurveda in PubMed, Indian and other databases. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2010; 16:1225-37.
- Saravu R Narahari, Madhur Guruprasad Aggithaya, Kumbla R. Suraj. A protocol for systematic reviews of Ayurveda treatments. Int. J Ayurveda Research 2010; 1: 192- 205.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya GM, Prasanna KS, Bose KS An Integrative Treatment for Lower Limb Lymphoedema (Elephantiasis)(photoessay). J Alter Compl Med 2010; 16:145-9.
- Narayana PP, Mitra PP, Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG. Prevalence of asthma in school children in rural India. Ann Thoracic Med, 2010;5:118-19
- Narahari S. R, Guruprasad Aggithaya M, Suraj K R. Sharing biomedical journals in Current Science, 2009 January 96:8.
- Muralidharan K., Narahari SR., Analysis of follow up studies on integrated management of lower limb Lymphoedema. The SPSS Analyst, SPSS South Asia; 2008: 50-5
- Bose KS, Narahari SR, Aggithaya GM, Vivekananda K, Neethu KJ, Prasanna KS. Ayurveda, yoga and self-care in patient-led support groups. The third national seminar on evidence-based and integrated medicine for lymphatic filariasis, other chronic dermatoses and HIV/AIDS. Journal of Lymphoedema 2008; 3(2) supplement.
- Narahari S.R, Ryan TJ, Aggithaya GM, Bose KS, Prasanna KS. Evidence based approaches for Ayurvedic traditional herbal formulations: Toward an Ayurvedic CONSORT model. Journal of Alternative and complementary medicine 2008;14: 769–776.
- Narahari SR. Integrative management of disease in India could extend to wound care but needs more financial support (comment). Wounds UK 2008;4: 94-95.
- Narahari SR. Integrated management of secondary lymphodema in India, European Wound Management Association J, 2007 (supl):67.
- Narahari SR, Ryan TJ, Mahadevan PE, Bose KS, Prasanna KS. Integrated management of filarial lymphodema for rural communities. Lymphology 2007;40: 3-13.
- Narahari SR. and Ryan TJ. Silver bullets, shotguns, and integrative community-based approach to lymphodema from lymphatic filariasis in India (letters to the editor). Lymphology 2007:40:87-94.
- Narahari SR, Bose KS, Prasanna KS. Self help & low cost, integrated treatment of Lymphatic Filariasis for rural communities (Meeting report). Current Science 2007; 92:1665-67.
- Narahari SR. Lymphodema management in India. J lymphodema 2007;2: 10-2.
- Narahari SR. Can we prevent development of lymphodema? (Debate). Journal of lymphodema 2007;2: 6-8.
- Narahari S R. Role of Indian system of medicine in the management of filarial lymphoedema, Lymphology 2004; 37 (suppl): 673-77.
- Narahari S R. More than one system of medicine, J European academy of dermatology and venereology, 2004; suppl 2:17.5
- Narahari S R. A methodology for applied medical research, the national medical journal of India (letter), 1999;12: 88
- Narahari S Rand Prasanna KS. A methodology for clinical evaluation of existing practice, using traditional herbal medicinal formulations. Current Science, 1999; 76:467 – 68.
- Narahari S R. Unknown presentations of pure neuritic leprosy. Indian journal of Leprosy.1997, 67:401-406.
- Srinivas CR, Pasricha JS, Narahari SR, Kheklar S. LE like erythema and periungual telangiectasia among coffee plantation workers. Contact Dermatitis 1990; 22; 296 –297.
- Narahari SR, Prasanna KS. Nurture Indian dermatology innovations as man-maximum, machine-minimum research. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2017;83:684-6.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Moffatt C, Ryan TJ, Keeley V, Vijaya B, et al. Future research priorities for morbidity control of lymphedema. Indian J Dermatol 2017;62:33-40.
- Narahari SR. Integrative Medicine is ‘one small step’ for Allopathy and ‘one giant leap’ for Ayurveda (Guest Editorial). Annals of Ayurvedic Medicine 2016;5:60-64
- Narahari SR, Manjula K, Bose KS, Aggithaya MG, Swamy GK, Ryan TJ. Harmful traditional healing practices in the treatment of lymphatic filariasis. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2016;82:565-7.
- Narahari SR, Ryan TJ and Aggithaya MG. Expanding the scientific horizon of integrative medicine. Current Science 2016:111(2):280-282.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG. Morrow SE and Ryan TJ. Developing an integrative medicine patient care protocol from the existing practice of Ayurveda dermatology. Current Science 2016:111(2):302-317.
- Narahari SR and Aggithaya MG. Integrative medicine atlas of skin diseases. Current Science 2016:111(2):318-324.
- Narahari SR, Ryan TJ and Aggithaya MG. Preface (to special section on Integrative Medicine). Current Science 2016:111(2):278-279.
- Narahari SR, Prasanna KS, Aggithaya MG, Bose, KS, Praseeda TR. Dermatology life quality index does not reflect quality of life status of Indian vitiligo patients. Indian J Dermatol 2016;61:99-100.
- Narahari SR, Prasanna KS, Aggithaya MG, Bose KS, Praseeda TR. Author’s Reply. Indian J Dermatol 2016; 61:335-6.
- Aggithaya MG, Narahari SR. Literature searches on Ayurveda: An update. Ayu 2015; 36:238-53.
- Vijaya B, Narahari SR, Deka P, Manjunath GV. Pretibial dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa: A rare case report in a child with low intelligent quotient. Indian J Paediatr Dermatol 2016;17:32-4.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Thamban C, Muralidharan K, Kanjarpane AB. How knowledgeable are investigators studying therapies of traditional medicines? Ayu 2014;35:243-51.
- Mithra PP, Pradeepa NP, Bose KS, Prasanna KS, Aggithaya G, Narahari SR. Awareness about Community Diagnosis among Health Care Professionals in South India: A Cross-Sectional Study, Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development 2014; 5: 99-103
- Narahari SR. Collaboration culture in Medicine (Guest Editorial). Indian J Dermatol 2013;58:124-6.
- Narahari SR, Prasanna KS, Sushma KV. Evidence based integrative dermatology. Indian J Dermatol 2013;58:127- 31.
- Narahari SR and Aniruddha K. Public health systems research: evidence-based integrative medicine provides leadership in chronic care. Current Science 2013: 104: 695-696
- Hydroxylase deficiency presenting with acne, Indian journal of dermatology venereology & leprosy 1996; 62:58.
- Prevalence of STD in rural areas of Kasaragod Kerala Medical Journal 1996; 37:27.
- Pigmentary stage of incontinentia pigmenti. Is it a distinct entity? Indian journal of dermatology, venereology & leprosy 1996; 62:408.
- Acute glomerulonephritis induced by griseofulvin Indian journal of dermatology venereology & leprosy 1996; 62:335.
- Terfenadine precipitating exfoliative dematitis in Psoriasis. Indian journal of dermatology, venereology & leprosy 1996; 62:408-12.
- A Comparative efficacy of triamcinolone acetonide and anthralin in the treatment of Alopecia Areata Indian journal of dermatology, venereology & leprosy 1996; 62:348-50.
- Current status of venereal diseases in Kasaragod Kerala Indian journal of community health 1997; 3:32-34.
- Role of local NGOs in slowing the spread of HIV in Kasaragod (1991-96). Indian journal of dermatology, venereology, leprosy 1999; 65:212-213.
- A Study on symptom profile and response to various skin prick allergen tests in patients of nasobronhcial allergy in north Malabar in Kerala. Lung India Vol 26 October 2009 Supplement A 60
- Analysis of patients on Long term home oxygen therapy. A Field study in South India. Lung India 2009 Vol 26 October 2009 Supplement A 59
Chapters in books:
- Recognizing neglected tropical diseases through changes on the skin: a training guide for front-line health workers. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.
- Narahari SR, Aggithaya MG, Prasanna KS and Bose KS. Alternative and integrated therapies for Vitiligo in Management of Vitiligo, edited by Somesh Gupta, Davinder Parsad, Mats J. Olsson, Henry W. Lim, Amit Pandya, Nanja van Geel; publisher Wiley and Wiley 159- 2018 ISBN: 978-1-118-93730-3
- Narahari S, Aggithaya MG and Ryan T.Yoga as a Therapy for Lymphedema In Research-Based Applied Psychophysiology Eds Telles S and Singh N page 241-262 DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-2788-6.ch014. LCCN 2017010726| ISBN 9781522527886 (hardcover) | ISBN 9781522527893 (ebook) IGI Global 2017
- Lymphoedema worldwide. In Editors: Mortimer P & Levine G. Let’s Talk Lymphoedema. Elliot and Thomson Ltd. London 2017
- Edited a special section on Integrative Medicine in ‘Current Science’ Vol 111, No. 2 July 25th issue 2016 (page 278-355), a publication of Indian National Science Association published from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Narahari SR and Prasanna KS. Lymphatic Disorders, in Atlas of Dermatology by Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists 2016
- Ryan, T, Narahari, SR, Vijaya, B and Guruprasad Aggithaya Dermatologic implications of secondary lymphoedema of the lower leg In Lymphoedema Complete Medical and Surgical Mangement Eds Neligan, P, Masia, J and Piller, N CRC Press, USA. 2015 Chapter 14 pages 195-213
- Narahari SR, Daulatabad D, Prasanna KS. Parasitic and Protozoal Diseases; Human Helminthic Infections (Nematodes, Cestodes, and Trematodes). In A Comprehensive Approach to Dermatologic Infectious Diseases. Eds. Singhal A, Grover C, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers India. 2015: 311-352.
- Member of technical review committee of ‘Perspectives of Indian Medicinal Plants in the management of Lymphatic Filariasis. Shenoy RK (edi) 2012. Indian Council for Medical Research, New Delhi ISBN: 978-81-910091-1-8
- Comments on Kusta chapter of English translation of Caraka’s classical ayurveda treatise
- Ryan TJ, Narahari SR, Bose KS, Aggithaya MG. Setting up an Integrative Medicine Clinic for Self-Care of Lymphoedema in Indian villages. Editor: David Keast, publishing in China for WHO (chapter in a book)
- Integrative Dermatology. In Editor: Rastogi S. Book to Bedside translational ayurveda. Springer (chapter in a book)
- A chapter in In Editor: Raj Mani et al. Compression and Chronic Wound Management by Springer (chapter in a book)
- Abstracts of 9th international congress of dermatology, 2004, Beijing, China
- Clinical methodology for validation of medicinal properties of rice, Proceedings of the national seminar on Science society interface, medicinal properties of rice, Kerala agricultural university, M S Swaminathan Foundation, Medicinal plants board of India, International fund for agricultural development, Pattambi August 2004
- A methodology for randomized clinical trials in procedure based therapies of traditional medicine, compendium of invited lectures of the World ayurveda congress, 2002 Ministry of Health, Govt of India, New Delhi pp 97-104
- Member of Cochrane Skin Group, Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, University of Nottingham, UK
- Reviewer of a five ‘PubMed indexed’ journals
- Member of the expert group of Indian Council for Medical Research on Lymphatic Filariasis morbidity control, Government of India (2017)
Papers in CME publications
- Narahari SR and Prasanna KS. Lymphatic Filariasis, Health Action, Lepra India
Conferences attended with invited lectures: Available on request
CIMPH: This is a public private partnership channel of Government of Kerala established under IAD. This offers opportunities to expand activities in collaboration with Governmental bodies
Personal: He is born on the 16th November 1963 and married to dermatologist Dr K.S. Prasanna. Their elder son is currently studying post graduate degree course in internal medicine and younger son is a medical student. Dr Narahari and Dr Prasanna don’t receive any kind of financial benefit for their services in IAD. They run a popular private consultation clinic at Kasaragod, Kerala
Mr. Shashidhara, IAS (Rtd), DirectorHe is a retired IAS officer. He worked as Idukki District collector in Kerala State, Director of Collegiate education and also Director of SC dept. under Govt. of Kerala. After retiring from Administrative service he is serving as PS to Minister of tourism, Govt. of Kerala. He was associated with the activities of IAD in an advisory role since the dates of its formation and registration as section 25 company. He was always a source of encouragement for most activities. He was the patron for the last two national symposiums conducted in Kasaragod. His guidance is crucial for IAD in several strategic areas.
Dr T A Bailoor , (Pathologist), DirectorBorn in Mangalore on 9th June 1944, had primary and secondary education at St.Aloysius’ High School, Mangalore. Completed his P.U. Course from St. Aloysius’ College, Mangalore. Did the Pre- Medical and l M.B.,B.S. course at Kasturba Medical College,Manipal. and the II and Final year courses atthe Mangalore section of the same College, graduating in 1967. Completed the M.D.Course in Pathology at the Kasturba Medical College,Mangalore. Did one year post doctoral training in histopathology at the Stobhill General Hospital at Glasgow,Scotland. Served at Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore for twenty years as Professor in Pathology. currently owns a private medical laboratory and serving the people at Mangalore. Was the recipient of a Rotary International Group Study Exchange award and visited Boston, U.S.A. under their aegis for 6 weeks in April-May of 1973. Was a member of the Lions’ Club of Mangalore for several years.
- Registered as not for profit company u/s 25 of Companies act 1956. Regd.No.09-13167 of 1999 dated 26.07.1999 with ROC Ernakulum (Kerala) CIN Number U73100KL1999NPL013167 MOA & AOA are available on request
- Registered u/s 12 A (a) of Income Tax Act 1961. Regd. No. CITCLT/12A/185/2000-01 dated 17.10.2000. Hence eligible for Income Tax exemptions u/s 80 G (5) ( vi) of Income Tax Act 1961 Reg.No.C.No.80G-28/CIT/KNR/2008-09
- Registered under Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 1976 (Regd. No.052920007 dated 13.01.2006.
- Registered u/s 16 of Kerala Value Added Tax Act, 2003. Regd.No.32130532675 dated 30.01.2009
- Drug License Whole sale & Retail, Govt. of Kerala. License No. 14/022/20/2012, 14/023/21/2012, 14/024/20B/2012, 4/025/21B/2012 dated 06.03.2012, valid till 05.03.2017
- Certificate of Importer Exporter Code (IEC) No.1010009745 dated 19.11.2010.