Scalp hair is cosmetically an essential part of the human body. Both males and females wish to have healthy, thick, and stylish hair. Many beauty parlors strive because of different hairstyling and other hair cosmetics. However, to have the right hairstyle, one should have thick and healthy scalp hair. Ladies want only scalp hair, not the facial one, whereas men long to have good scalp hair as well as moustache & beard.
Hair fall and hair thinning can cause a partial or complete lack of hair growth. The degree and pattern of baldness vary according to different causes. The commonest causes are
- Androgenic alopecia-Male and female patterned hair loss.
- Alopecia areata
- Telogen effluvium
- Traction alopecia
- Or some mental conditions like Trichotillomania
Signs and symptoms of hair loss may include
- Thinning of hair on top of the head gradually. Usually seen in men hair begins to recede at the hairline on the forehead
- Patchy circular bald spots-This can be seen over the scalp, beard, eyebrows, or pubic and axillary area.
- Hair loss during medical treatments such as chemotherapy for cancer
Some of the factors related are
- Family history of hair loss
- Hormonal changes and medical conditions.Eg: Hormonal changes during pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, and thyroid problems.scalp infections, PCOD.
- Medications: Certain high potent drugs for cancer, depression, etc may promote hair fall
- Hairstyles and hair treatments-Excessive hair styling, gels and heat treatment may trigger hair fall
- Poor nutrition
- Crash diets
Management of hair fall
By taking the history in detail, will clinch the diagnosis in most of the cases. However, to confirm it, we have to investigate the patient, by doing a blood test, hair microscopy and hair scan, which is known as Trichoscopy. The trichoscopy gives a definite diagnosis for hair loss. The treatment of hair loss is a combined effort of dermatologists, dieticians, Ayurveda physicians and homoeopathy doctors. Diet is significant in hair fall, in order to correct their dietary deficiencies. Ayurveda has rejuvenating oils, homoeopathy, when combined with allopathy, is good medicine for stress management. By this combined effort; allopathy, Ayurveda, homoeopathy and diet correction for hair loss disorders, what we call in our institute integrative management, we can give a ray of hope to these fed up hair fall patients.