Vitiligo: Developing software as prognostic tool and Standardization of the image acquisition techniques
Funded by KSCSTE (Kerala State Council for Science Technology & Environment Govt. of Kerala
‘Evidence initiative toward integrative medicine in Vitiligo’ is a new program of IAD. Recently vitiligo color image analysis system was developed as the part of it which unable the objective measurement of treatment outcome through images acquired in a controlled setting. This project is in collaboration with Medical Intelligence Language Engineering lab of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Vitiligo patients are evaluated by allopathic dermatologist, ayurveda physician and homoeopathy doctor. The images of the patients are taken in controlled settings. Later they are transmitted to Prof. A. G Ramakrishnan, Medical Intelligence & Language Engineering (MILE) Laboratory, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Every time follow up images are taken they are analysed using color image analysis system. Thus the Patients response to treatment in analyzed objectively.
Evidence Initiative toward integrated management of Vitiligo
Source of funding: Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment and Department of Science and Technology, Government of India Although facilities have improved over last two decades, Indian dermatology centers of excellence have given low priority for research in attempting to find solutions for skin diseases common to Indian people1. Some of the earliest research efforts were concerned with attempts to restore the normal skin colour. In the Indian sacred book Atharva veda, which dates back to 1400 B.C the cure of leprosy and leucoderma with black seeds has been described in detail.
- Evidence based approach for treating vitiligo using ayurvedic formulations are the following
- Understanding the treatment of vitiligo patients in ayurveda on the basis of vata, pitta and kapha presentations and the basic principles of treatment
- A methodology for systematic search of studies involving ayurvedic formulations
- Designing a protocol, including ayurvedic principles of treatment, for systematic review
- Systematic review of available ayurvedic studies
- Vitiligo colour image analysis system is an objective tool for assessing the treatment outcomes in vitiligo
- Integrating the therapeutic elements of ayurveda and modern dermatology